Many people delay visiting the doctor for headache by many years. Most headaches are treatable. And treatment if started early, and maintained, can be very effective in reaching up to a permanent cure.
- Primary Headache – the headache which is not associated with any other disease
- Secondary Headache – the headache which occurs as a result of some other disease in the body.
It is very important to first realize which type of headache is occurring, as the approach to management is different for both.
KNOW YOUR HEADACHE !!! Few characteristics headache features, that you must know:
- Half side headache.
- It is more common in females.
- It is usually accompanied by nausea, vomiting, discomfort to the eye on exposure to light (photophobia), discomfort on hearing sounds (phonophobia).
- There are specific activators of migraine known as Triggers.
- A person having migraine must know his own Triggers. Triggers of migraine can be anything, such as,
Lack of Sleep/ excess sleep
Sun light exposure
Some strong smell
Hormonal Changes in females
These triggers should be avoided by the patient. This is one of the first steps in the treatment of Migraine.
Tension Type Headache
This is one of the most common type of headaches.
- It usually occurs in women more than men.
- It can be precipitated by stress, tension.
- This type of headache is on both sides, usually mild and remains on most of the days of the month.
- It is a band like constricting sensation, involves the back of head and the neck.
- This headache is usually not associated with nausea, vomiting, discomfort to bright light or loud noises. Hence this is also called as FEATURELESS Headache, which is the opposite of MIGRAINE, (which is associated with all the above features.)
- Its more common in men,
- It is a rare type of headache.
- Starts from behind the eye.
- Associated with alcohol intake.
- Usually awakens the patient from sleep. Occurs more commonly in the morning hours.
- Occurs repeatedly.
- Very severe headache of one side, associated with watering of the same side eye, reddening of the same side eye, watering of the nose.
Other rare headache types are – Cough Headache, Exercise Headache, Cold headache, Sleep Headache, Sex Headache.
Basic investigations one should get done for new onset headache
- Routine Blood Tests (CBC, Kidney Functions)
- Thyroid Function Tests (TFT)
- CT Scan of the Brain
- Eye Check Up at an eye care center for Testing refractive power
- BP monitoring.
Treatment of Headache
Treatment of headache takes into account multiple factors like
- What is the age of the patient?
- How many headache days are present in a month?
- How severe is the headache?
- How long does the headache last?
- What type of headache does one have?
Contact your Neurologist to know more, and remember, self treatment can be harmful, so do not take medicines without consulting your doctor.
At Jain Hospital, you can take an appointment with the following Neurologist, who have a deep understanding of Headaches and can diagnose you better:
- Dr Sumit Kumar Rabi – Mon to Sat (except Wed) – 11am to 2pm
- Dr. Aditya Gupta – Mon to Sat – 4pm to 6pm
Call 9015 111 222 to fix your appointment now.