According to reports, around 1 million couples worldwide undergo fertility treatments every year, out of which one- third of them are told that they have unexplained or idiopathic infertility. Unexplained infertility can be disheartening and frustrating at the same time because the couple is told that the explanation for their inability to conceive cannot be found in either the male or the female even after analysis of sperm and uterus or fallopian tubes.
Unexplained infertility is a controversial and questionable diagnosis because it requires a full and complete fertility evaluation of both the male and the female. The diagnostic process includes
- Researching family medical history and sexual history
- Physical examinations
- Hormone tests and analysis of the semen
- Assessment of ovulation
- Hysterosalpingogram, which is an X-ray of the woman’s uterus and fallopian tubes
- Tests for ovarian reserve and laparoscopy.
If the results prove that:
- You are ovulating regularly
- Your ovarian reserves are good
- Your fallopian tubes are open and healthy
- Your partner’s semen analysis is normal in terms of the total count, sperm movement, and sperm shape
- There are no serious uterine fertility issues
And still, you are unable to conceive then the unexplained infertility diagnosis is justified.
However, there is no reason to lose hope because not knowing the root cause of your infertility issue means that all options are possible and you may get pregnant eventually without having to undergo any treatment.
The Natural way towards pregnancy:
- Eat right: Eat the right kind of food to fuel your body with nourishment and good health. What you eat lays the foundation for cellular health and any kind of nutritional deficiency might hinder Increase your intake of whole foods such as raw seeds, fruits, whole grains and fresh veggies. Eliminate processed foods from your diet completely and stay hydrated to flush toxins from your body.
- Long- term lifestyle change: Stress creates a mess of your mental, physical and physiological existence all at once, so needless to say it might be affecting your conception efforts. Wipeout alcohol, cigarettes, sugar and, a high dose of caffeine from your life and embrace the warmth that comes with meditation, regular exercises such as brisk walking and yoga.
If these don’t work, you can consult your doctor and seek any of the following treatments:
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI):The procedure involves the placement of a washed sperm into the woman’s uterus during ovulation. This increases the density of motile sperm and is often aided by ovulation-stimulating drugs.
- Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation (COH):A procedure that can be performed in conjunction with IUI to increase the chances of conceiving, involves the stimulation of ovaries by fertility medication to produce 2 ovulatory follicles. A mature follicle contains an egg and if the increased number of eggs are available for fertilization, this increases the chances of getting pregnant.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF):The most expensive and complex yet the most effective procedure, IVF requires the retrieval of a sperm sample and manually combining it with an egg, in a laboratory. Once the embryo is formed, it is then transferred to the uterus.
Ovulation Induction (OI) is another treatment that uses a variety of medications to stimulate the ovary to produce and release eggs. Clomiphene citrate is often used to treat unexplained infertility by inducing the ovaries to produce more than one egg and thereby increasing the likelihood of fertilization. Gonadotropin therapy involves increasing a woman’s gonadotropin hormone levels to promote egg production. Often these medications are incorporated along with other procedures like IUI. Fertility doctors may also counsel the couples on improving the timing of sexual intercourse based on the woman’s ovulation period.
Being diagnosed with unexplained fertility is like getting no answer at all but one should not lose hope. Consult your doctor, seek professional help and explore your options to achieve a lifetime of happiness.