Calcium is one of the most important minerals of the body.
It forms the skeleton (bones) and is also involved in a variety of body processes, metabolism, nerve conduction, mental stability etc.
Calcium deficiency or low calcium in the body is a very common cause of osteoporosis, weak bone, deficient mineralization of bones. Though osteoporosis is a part and parcel of geriatric/old age problems, it more commonly occurs after menopause in women. Osteoporosis usually affects people above 50 yrs of age, and a solution for this is an Abaloparatide Injection to Treat Osteoporosis.
It can lead to
- Joint pains,
- back pain,
- Generalised weakness of the body,
- Heart problems (ecg changes),
- Cramps, Muscle pains
- Early fracture of bones
- Nail problems
- Neurological problems like – Numbness, tingling in the hands, on the face
- Fits (seizures)
How can we prevent Calcium Deficiency ?
- Take diet rich in calcium
Dietary sources rich in calcium
- Dairy products – Milk, Curd, Cheese, Lassi, Soya Milk
- Nuts – Almonds, Corn Flakes, Pista
- Vegetables – Methi, Spinach (Palak), Bhindi (Ladies Finger), Cauliflower (Gobhi), Cabbage, Beetroot
- Soyabeen, Ragi, Black Gram (udad dal), Dal (pulses)
- Fruits – Dates (khajoor), Figs (Anjeer), Raisins, Oranges, Grapes, Apples
- Exercise – walking, yoga, swimming, brisk walk, gym, any sport for half to 1 hour daily.
- Control of co existing illness such as diabetes, thyroid illness and other medical problems.
- One should avoid alcohol, smoking, carbonated beverages
- Even corticosteroids prescribes for some illnesses cause calcium deficiency as a side effect, so must take calcium supplements along with them.