Acne or pimples is a disorder of sebaceous glands, the glands which produce sebum secretions in skin.
What causes acne?
It can happen due to a number of reasons but mainly
- Infection by bacteria (Priopionibacterium acne)
- Hormonal changes, puberty, hormonal fluctuations during menstruation, increased androgens (male hormones)
- Food allergy to specific foods
- Washing or cleansing the face too many times
5 easy ways to prevent acne
- Certain foods can be avoided – know your weakness – sweets dairy products stress
- Hormone imbalance menstrual irregularities
- Wash your face regularly because dust clogs the pores
- Stop picking your acne or bursting them on your own
- Drink a lot of water
- Sun protection
Is it more common in some age group?
They start commonly at the age of 15-19 yrs. it’s usually considered a normal age for the pimples to start. But persistence beyond that is an abnormal sign.
That doesn’t mean treatment should not be taken at this age group as not taking treatment has its own consequences. And after 19 years of age they definitely require treatments.
Sites specific for acne?
Face, Neck, Arms, Buttocks
Consequences of not getting treated
May cause pigmentation acne scars which are deep prominent pits in your skin giving an uneven surface.
It may also become very painful.
Treatment of acne
Ranges from lifestyle modification to medical management and procedures treatments which includes peels, lasers, medicines, cream applications etc.